Monday, November 15, 2010

South Pacific-- the OSHR Version





My dad was in a play of South Pacific this past weekend- and it was really great! I got to see him perform in South Pacific when we lived in Subic Bay Philippines, in the late
'70s, and here he is, 30 years later, doing it again! He has been performing in one way or another over the past 30 years though, usually in his Barbershop Quartet, and even chorus for a while. But lately he's been involved in OSHER Lifelong Learning Institute, through UCSD (it's classes for old people), and they decided to do a production of South Pacific this year. So, if you can imagine Nellie Forbush, in her 70's, singing "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair," then you can picture the play! Dad even dressed up in coconuts and a curly wig to perform a duet of "Honey Bun" with Nellie Forbush. Oh ya, Dad played Luther Billis, for those of you who have seen, and recall, South Pacific. In one of the photos, Dad is speaking with Bloody Mary, but I didn't get her face in the photo unfortunately-- she was a REALLY great Bloody Mary! I didn't use a flash, so there was too much movement in most of my photos to be used on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment